Community gardens are places where people come together to grow fresh food, to learn, relax and make new friends. They are so important for creating community life in a place, building awareness around sustainable living and having fun! At Urban Reforestation, one of the main services we offer is the design and implementation of community gardens. Our community gardens have a special flavour, because we focus strongly on community engagement and development.
This means our gardens are social, convivial and festive! The aim of our community gardens is to engage as many people as possible in the surrounding community. We always co-design our gardens with community. This means there is always authentic feedback from people about the needs and wishes for their garden. The co-design concept is really an inspiring concept, not just for community gardens, but in fact how we design whole suburbs and master plans for communities.
Urban Reforestation has designed and/or implemented various community garden projects such as: the Docklands Community Garden in public space of Docklands, Melbourne, Brentwood Secondary College Community Garden in Melbourne, Noble Park Community Centre Community Garden Suburban Melbourne, Politecnico di Milano Community Garden University Campus, Milan, Italy. Each of these gardens have a special "menu":
1) They are all co-designed with the community
2) They all have festive events such as Sustainable Eco-Market, Local Food Dinners, Music and Educational Programs
3) They are all shared harvest with no allotments, so everyone looks after the garden, then there are systems developed to ensure the fair distribution and sharing of the vegetables and herbs.
Please see some images of our work here (Thank you to Hilary Bradford Photography for her ongoing support):
About Urban Reforestation
Urban Reforestation is a social enterprise focused on place making and sustainable urban design. Urban Reforestation inspires and enables sustainable lifestyles by designing community gardens, designing markets, local dinners and waste management programs.
Urban Reforestation’s vision is to be a leader in sustainable urban design. We aim to create new sustainability services that make urban agriculture and sustainable lifestyles; fun, accessible and engaging for everyone! Our program includes:
- Various activated community garden projects on rooftops, and public space, in Australia and internationally.
- Urban sustainability services focused on place making approach: markets, co-design workshops, innovative community engagement and local food distribution
- Social media and website that connects people to best practice ideas, their communities and gardens.
Engage in policy and design research in relation to sustainable urban design and improve business models for social enterprise's focused on making green and human cities.
For more information and interest in our services please contact Emily Ballantyne-Brodie, our director firstname.lastname@example.org